Sergeantsville United Methodist Church
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Open hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors
Our Vision Statement and History of the Church
Our Vision Statement:
We are committed to be a loving church, spiritually nurturing to ourselves and the community, by living and serving enthusiastically in our faith in Jesus Christ. We are a church of prayer and mission.
On December 22, 1838, fifty-three years, eleven months and twenty-seven days after the organization of the Methodist Christian Conference in the City of Baltimore, the church of Sergeantsville was dedicated." The Rev. PC Bascom c.1887
This congregation began as a Class Meeting at the home of Amos Hoagland in 1830. The group outgrew its house meeting and began construction of a church building in February 1838. By 1865 that building was outgrown. In January of 1868 an addition was dedicated. The congregation was part of the Kingwood Circuit. The circuit changed over the years.
In 1920 the hotel in Sergeantsville was purchased by the congregation and called the Community house. The first floor was converted into a large room to accommodate dinners. The second floor was used as an auditorium. Other groups rented out the facility for meeting space. In 1948 the building was sold to Delaware Township. The property next to the church as purchased in the 1950's to construct the parish hall because the Sunday School was growing. In 1972 a new wing was added to the hall for restrooms. In 1985 the family of Mary Pichaz donated one acre of land behind the church to be used for recreation and worship. The Olsen Children's Pavilion was build and dedicated 2000. A barrier free project including a handicapped parking and bathroom was added in 2001.